Go Back   NYCMaximas.org Forums > New York City Maxima Groups > General NYC Maximas Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 01-30-2005   #1
Waveridr85

Chats: 0
Waveridr85 is an unknown quantity at this point
Nitrous Info: In Depth

Waveridr85 once wrote:
I recall it being written that NX is better because they claim all their numbers to be guaranteed to be accurate.

Here is the question. Why would a kit be so different? all it involves is a bottle(which won't make much of a difference unless you are using a super shot, solenoids(which are just either opened or closed) fuel tees, and lines. The only possible influence in hp that would be reasonable for me to understand would be from the jets to the nozzle.

Is there really that much of a difference in nozzles? If so, i am using a cold fusion nozzle and am wondering if i should upgrade it.

Jime responded:
You are pretty much correct in your assumptions.

However up until a few months ago NX was the only wet kit on the street and that is where I believe their strength lies. That is the only kit they produce, they do not make a dry kit like the others.

Now Zex, NOS and ??? have started to produce a wet kit as well, likely because of the popularity that NX was gaining and they wanted the market share back.

Now I don't know how good the Zex or NOS wet kits are because I really haven't seen any reviews or know of anyone who has installed one and reported back.

Is their really that much of a difference in nozzles?? I believe so because that was why NOS failed in their previous attempts at having a workable wet system for a dry manifold design engine.

Also the reason NX can claim accuracy is that with the wet kit you are putting in exactly the same amount of fuel/nitrous mixture every time through one nozzle (2 jets fuel and nitrous) and that amount of HP is fairly easily calculated.

With a dry kit the nitrous is a given but the additional fuel, because it is put through the injectors as a result of higher fuel pressure is not always the same because of varying fuel pressures between engines using the same size fuel jet. Some of our engines take vastly difference jets to achieve the same fuel pressure and many times people who are just using the stock jets, just insert them and pray that fuel pressure is going to be ok without even having a gauge.

Which is the best? Well I did have a dry NOS kit before the NX and there was a dramatic change in my 1/4 mile at that time, 13.8 vs 13.1 in my 97 SE with no other changes. Will the Zex and NOS WET kits produce the same results? Probably, I don't see why they shouldn't. I do like the NX because of their high quality, larger and stronger solenoids that are guaranteed for life, but then they sponsor me and I say good things about sponsors. They also have excellent support and will rebuild your solenoids every year, if you want to for free, you just pay the postage and thats hard to beat.

Waveridr85 responded:
Do you mind posting a pciture of your nozzle? I am running a kit made by coldfusion. Many people have said they are the cmpany that either provides parts for nx or makes some of their parts. If you look at the website (coldfusionnitrous.com) you will see the solenoids looks almost identical. As for the nozzzle, I am unsure.

The reason why I bought the kit was it was 500 shipped for a wet kit, 15 lb bottle, and purge. All new. The only thing I need to buy was switches and wires.

As for the zex, I do beleive there is a downfall in their setup because it becomes difficult to upgrade due to both solenoids being held in one box.

The waveridr85 added:
I did some further research looking into the horsepower claims of NOS, ZEX, and NX. Here are my results:

I have found that for the 100 hp claim that all companies use all companies provide different jet sizes. Therefore all 100 shots cannot be compared at all.

N20 Jet Fuel Jet N20 Jet/Fuel Jet Diameter Ratios
NOS .047 .038 123.684/100
NX .052 .031 113.043/100
ZEX .046 .030 153.333/100

Figures were achieved by using (NX). 052/. 031 = X/100

If optimal bottle pressure would be at 900 PSI, and fuel would be at 44 PSI. The following figures would a close approximate of fuel to n20 mixtures.

NOS 42.3/1.672
NX 46.8/1.364
ZEX 41.4/1.320

These figures were achieved by the following method:
JET SIZE x BOTTLE PRESURE / JET SIZE x FUEL PRESURE

To show the exact nitrous point per fuel point, I came up with these figures:
NOS 25.29904/1
NX 34.31085/1
ZEX 31.36363/1

These were achieved by
JET SIZE x BOTTLE PRESURE / JET SIZE x FUEL PRESURE = X/1

Well as we can see, the richest fuel setup would be NOS. This would allow for the safest conditions by avoiding running too lean and causing heat to break or fry engine components

The leanest system would be NX. It came in with a %20 leaner mixtures than Zex. This, in my opinion would result in the least safe of the nitrous systems.

The base nitrous jets also varied between companies. The reason why NX kits make more horsepower is because they use a higher jet for the 100hp claim. Their jet is a .052 as opposed to the Zex .046 Nitrous jet. With a %13 percent higher nitrous jet over Zex, and a %10.3 higher jet than NOS, it can be very well expected they make higher horsepower figures due to the higher amount of nitrous be injected.

All in all, the only thing that sets these kits apart that matters would be the flow rate of the solenoids (which would not affect horsepower unless shooting an extremely high shot) like the solenoids the bottle valve, which also would not affect power unless an extremely high shot is being used, the jets, and the nozzles. Since the jet sizes would vary from company to company the only way to test which company makes the best horsepower would be to use the same jets on all products and to test them.

Due to jet differences varying between companies, it is unfair to say who makes more horsepower, since different companies use different amount of Nitrous. The only conclusions that can be made, with the stock jet sizes, is that Zex is the safest kit running the most rich setup, and NX is the leanest.

******These numbers can be wrong since I am not %100 sure of my findings. I encourage anyone to correct any mistakes on my behalf. *******

I will hopefully do a dyno-test comparing the different nozzles with the same jets.

Jime responded:
I do applaud your research and your number crunching and believe me I am not trying to jump on you in any way.

However, you can throw out the NOS jets because they are dry kit jets and the fuel jets are totally invalid because they are used to increase fuel pressure not flow fuel like the Zex and NX fuel jets are.

Also you will not find a nitrous company that will recommend jets that do not fall in safe A/F territory. I know for a fact that the NX jets are in the 11.0-11.5 A/F area and on the safe side. NX also guarantees their HP output to be within 2% of their ratings WHP not crank so you cannot just compare jet sizes to come up with a magic number.

Zex controls their A/F based on the bottle pressure so jet sizes are irrelevant with their systems and NX recommends a bottle pressure of 1050 as opposed to 900-950 for other companies so its very hard to relate anything with just jet sizes.

I wish it was that easy but there are so many variables.

Even the fact that the fuel pressure between 4th and 5th Gen Maximas are 10 psi apart (ie 43 vs 52) make a difference in the jet sizes. That is why there are so many charts for different cars. That is why I encourage folks to call the company to get the latest chart sizes recommended.

Waveridr85 added:
Thanks for your input, like I said, it was only an assumption and giving an idea that we could more thouroghly work out.

As for the NOS jets, I thought they had came out with a wet system? If not correct me if I am wrong. Please explain how they regulate presure as well.

Jime added:
Those jet sizes are exactly the same as the chart I posted which are for the dry setup. I wasn't able to obtain the wet jet chart.

In the dry setup the fuel jets are tee'd into the vacuum line to the fuel pressure regulator vs in the dry the fuel actually is fed through the jets.

The dry system bumps up the fuel pressure so that the extra fuel necessary for the nitrous is fed through the injectors vs through the intake in the wet setup.

Nitrous is actually fed to the top of the fuel pressure regulator in a dry setup which holds the regulator down causing less fuel through the return line and more pressure in the fuel feed line. The jet in the dry system actually bleeds nitrous (not fuel) pressure away from the regulator so that the larger the jet the more pressure is bled off and the lower the fuel pressure is.

Here is the chart I posted and as I said the fuel jets are for a DRY system and should not be used for a wet setup.

I should have specified in this chart that the NOS jetting is for dry sytems. I did specify that the Zex was wet and of course NX only makes wet.

Click the image to open in full size.

Here are some interesting calcs:

Using your same numbers for a 100 shot, ie NOS 47, NX 52, Zex 46 and using the fuel pressure of 44 and nitrous pressure of 900 the calculator below shows the following:

1. NOS 84.8 to the wheels on a 26 fuel jet.
2. NX 103.8 to the wheels on a 29 fuel jet.
3. Zex 81.2 to the wheels on a 25 fuel jet.

Both NX and Zex suggest larger fuel jets, NX by 2 and Zex by 5 from the calculator, so as I suggested to earlier they will err on the side of caution. The numbers for NOS I can't compare the fuel because I don't have their recommended wet sizes for a 100 shot but the nitrous jet should remain constant.

http://www.robietherobot.com/NitrousJetCalculator.htm

Waveridr85:
hanks for posting that Jime, It looks as if the nitrous jet for Nx(compared to Zex), being %13 higher and the %16 bigger fuel jet, produces %27 more horsepower. It looks as if you can just add the percentage increase (13+16=29) and get an approximate figure of how much % horsepower is going to be created.
Old 06-25-2007   #2
vipervadim
Dr. Gearhead Ph.D in VQ

Chats: 4176
vipervadim is just really nicevipervadim is just really nicevipervadim is just really nicevipervadim is just really nicevipervadim is just really nice
Re: Nitrous Info: In Depth

BUMP this OLD thread from the dead..

For those few who remember Waveridr85 - Andrew from those (Hooters) meets you can officially call yourself Maxima OG

Request to Move + Sticky to the Maxima Performance Section

RIP Bishnu 7/10/11
Old 06-25-2007   #3
DrKlop
Driving is the next best thing!

DrKlop has a spectacular aura aboutDrKlop has a spectacular aura about

nice! Thanks for bumping it. As surprising as it might sound, I'm slowly starting to become interested in this stuff.

BTW, is that me, or that drifter in your sig is actually you? lol
Old 06-25-2007   #4
vipervadim
Dr. Gearhead Ph.D in VQ

Chats: 4176
vipervadim is just really nicevipervadim is just really nicevipervadim is just really nicevipervadim is just really nicevipervadim is just really nice

^^^ LOL you are right Roman.. that drifter guy does look like me.. but it's not me tho..
I would never try to drift a Pink Barbie Lambourghini

this was a great thread to BUMP..
Old 07-13-2007   #5
Waveridr85

Waveridr85 is an unknown quantity at this point

Wow, Its been a long time since I've visited here. I actually came across this by googling my user name and this came up. Good to see everyone still taking care of their maxima's. Just finished up college, graduated, finished (or so i say) the camaro, and now I'm building a jeep for offroading
Old 07-13-2007   #6
craig10114
They call me Mr. ICE

craig10114 will become famous soon enough

holy crap andrew, long time no speak. Hows it been man?
Old 10-13-2008   #7
secondtonone317
Banned

secondtonone317 is a glorious beacon of lightsecondtonone317 is a glorious beacon of lightsecondtonone317 is a glorious beacon of lightsecondtonone317 is a glorious beacon of lightsecondtonone317 is a glorious beacon of light

just wanted to add some info to this thread, below is a copy from NX taken from the big org, can this thread be moved and stickied in the "maxima performance" section?

Here's some answers to most of the questions asked about nitrous. This was taken directly from the NX site. Please review this for questions you might have before you get started.

Most Commonly Asked Questions -

Q. How does nitrous oxide create more horsepower?
A. Nitrous oxide provides the oxygen that allows an engine to burn more fuel, more burned fuel equals more power.

Q. What is the difference between a wet and a dry system?
A. A "Wet" system introduces a homogenous mixture of nitrous and atomized fuel into the incoming air stream, thus providing a perfect air/fuel ratio for each.

Q. Can I still run my car all-motor with nitrous installed?
A. Of course, the nitrous system only affects performance when it is being used.

Q. How can nitrous blow my engine up?
A. Nitrous in and of itself cannot "blowup" an engine. Nitrous kits of poor design, poor quality, and improper air/fuel ratios damage engines.

Q. What is nitrous backfire?
A. Nitrous backfires can be caused by two situations. 1. A nitrous system that is two rich or a system that atomizes the fuel poorly, thus causing pooling or puddling of fuel in the intake manifold. 2. A system that is operated too lean.

Q. What is meant by 30, 50, 100, 150, and 200 shots?
A. "Shot" is commonly used slang in the nitrous community to refer to the amount of horsepower increase provided by the nitrous system.

Q. How long can I squeeze nitrous in my engine?
A. With an NX system the only limitation is the capacity of the N2O bottle or the RPM limit of the engine.

Q. When is the best time to use nitrous?
A. When you want to go fast.

Q. How can a nitrous system be activated (a "happy button," automatically, or what)?
A. All NX systems come standard with wide-open throttle switches, however we offer an electronic TPS switch as well as a push button.

Q. What is the safest way to configure nitrous activation?
A. The only safe way is to use a wide open throttle switch, however you may configure any number of ways to "trip" the system but all must be used in conjunction with some type of wide open throttle switch.

Q. Is a bottle heater good?
A. A quality bottle heater is essential to proper nitrous system performance.

Q. Can I vary the amount of nitrous injected when I want?
A. Yes, by utilizing NX's digital progressive controller, the "Maximizer". This devise allows the user to precisely control the amount of nitrous delivered to his engine from the comfort of the drivers seat.

Q. Can I install a nitrous system on my car if there is no kit available?
A. NX has a system for every car manufactured in the world today.

Q. How much of a horsepower increase can I expect from a nitrous system?
A. All NX systems make within 2% of their claimed horsepower, if you jet the system for 50 horsepower then you can expect no less than 49 horsepower, but usually a few more than the rated amount.

Q. How long will a bottle of nitrous last?
A. That depends on the level of power being produced. The formula for calculating your nitrous usage is: 0.8 lbs N2O X 10 seconds = 100 horsepower. I.E. If your system is jetted for 100 horsepower it will use 0.8 lbs of nitrous for every 10 seconds of usage.

Q. How much does it cost to get nitrous refills?
A. The cost of nitrous oxide varies with the region of the country, however a general estimate would be between $3.50-5.00 per pound.

Q. Are there nitrous systems available for late model imports?
A. NX makes a system for every car manufactured today.

Q. What comes with a nitrous kit?
A. Most NX systems come complete with a 10 lb nitrous bottle, stainless steel bottle brackets, 16 ft aircraft style supply line, N2O filter, lifetime warranty nitrous and fuel solenoids with mounts, all standard jet settings, an NX patented Shark nozzle (nozzles), or a patented carbureted plate, wide open throttle switch, a complete installation pack that includes all bolts, nuts, washers, wire, wire terminals, lighted arming switch, and complete instructions with pictures.

Q. Will I need anything else to install the kit properly?

A. To complete the installation a Gen-X package should be ordered with the system. This includes the bottle heater, liquid filled nitrous pressure gauge, low fuel pressure safety switch, and a external bottle vent fitting and plumbing kit.

Q. Can I hide my nitrous system from a novice tuner?
A. Yes, it is quite easy to hide an NX system from the casual observer.

Q. Can I use nitrous on my turbo or supercharged vehicle?
A. Yes, NX specializes in turbo-supercharged nitrous applications.

Q. What are some general rules for creating the most horsepower without damaging anything?
A. Generally speaking the amount of power that can be created with nitrous is almost limitless. To avoid a catastrophe, the internal components of the engine must match the amount of power that is going to be generated. The use of proper air/fuel ratios is essential and the quality of the nitrous system is paramount.

Q. Is a nitrous system worth the money (horsepower per dollar wise)?
A. No other devise in the world offers such a bargain as nitrous oxide.

Q. Why doesn't everyone use nitrous?
A. Nitrous is not for everyone, some people prefer turbos, some like blowers, and others feel it is cheating to use nitrous.

Q. Why does nitrous have such a scary reputation?
A. There has been some very shoddy nitrous "kits" sold to unsuspecting customers over the last 20 years; this along with the abuse nitrous has suffered from "idiots" who damage their own engines.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Technical Questions -
Q. How does a nitrous system operate on a fuel-injected vehicle?
A. The NX system is a complete stand-alone air/fuel delivery system that augments the standard factory EFI unit. It provides additional fuel and oxygen to the cylinders via the patented "Shark" nozzle mounted in the intake tract to provide additional horsepower.

Q. How does a nitrous system operate on a carbureted vehicle?
A. The most common method of boosting power on carbureted applications is the use of a "plate" sandwiched between the carb and the intake manifold. This plate contains orificed tubes that deliver the nitrous/fuel mixture in precise ratios.

Q. How easy is it to install a basic wet nitrous system?
A. The NX "Stage One" EFI System is very straightforward. It requires no engine disassembly, no fuel system modifications or timing retards. Simply install the "Shark" nozzle in the intake tract approximately 2-6 inches in front of the throttle body and connect the fuel solenoid to the high-pressure side of the injection rail and your ready to go.

Q. Purge valves look cool, should I get one for my nitrous vehicle?
A. A purge valve is a valuable tool for increased nitrous performance. It allows the user to "Purge" all gaseous nitrous from the bottle supply line prior to using the system. This allows for a harder "Hit" from the system thus increasing performance.

Q. What safety features come with a nitrous system?
A. There are several safety related devises that can be used with a modern nitrous system. The first, and most important is the wide-open throttle switch. This prevents the user from accidentally engaging the system. A special high flow nitrous filter is furnished with every NX street system. All hoses are aircraft quality stainless steel braided, Teflon. All NX systems come with the highest quality, made in the USA, stainless steel solenoids.

Q. How does the solenoid know when to open and release the nitrous oxide?
A. All NX systems are furnished with Wide Open Throttle switches. This switch signals the solenoids to open when the motor reaches wide-open throttle.

Q. What are the differences between a dry nozzle and a wet nozzle?
A. The "dry" system uses the factory fuel injection to enrich the nitrous introduced into the engine. The flaw with this technology is that no matter how much nitrous arrives at a certain intake port it always gets the same preset amount of fuel, or if a fuel injector becomes clogged engine damage will result. The "Wet" technology introduces a precise amount of fuel and nitrous through a high tech mixing nozzle that atomizes the fuel to microscopic proportions. This allows every cylinder to receive a precise, homogenous mixture of fuel and nitrous, thus insuring a safe, powerful increase.

Q. What is nitrous backfire?
A. Nitrous backfires can be caused by two situations. 1. A nitrous system that is two rich or a system that atomizes the fuel poorly, thus causing pooling or puddling of fuel in the intake manifold. 2. A system that is operated too lean.

Q. Should I use an aftermarket ignition with nitrous?
A. All NX Street or Stage One systems are designed to operate with stock ignition; however any upgrade in the stock ignition is a definite plus.

Q. Should I change my ignition system in any way (timing, plugs, etc.)?
A. All NX Stage One or Street systems are designed to operate with no timing retard. Spark plugs should be changed to non-platinum style, 1 to 2 steps colder than stock.

Q. Will a bigger bottle give you more horsepower?
A. No; however a larger capacity bottle will provide a more stable bottle pressure resulting in a lower E.T. and a higher M.P.H.

Q. What is the difference between a 1 stage and a 2 stage system?
A. A single stage system refers to one single nitrous system; a 2 stage or dual stage incorporates two nitrous systems on one application. This allows a car to launch with the maximum horsepower possible, with the traction available, then add more power down track as the car can handle it.

Q. Why does my engine need more fuel while on the bottle?
A. The fuel, or gasoline, is the source of the additional horsepower. The nitrous' job is to provide the oxygen to allow the fuel to be burned.

Q. How can my engine get more fuel while on the bottle?
A. All NX systems add additional fuel during nitrous usage by injecting it directly with the nitrous through their patented "Shark" nozzle. This method assures 100% atomization of the fuel and accurate air/fuel ratios.

Q. What is the safest way to configure nitrous activation?
A. The only safe way is to use a wide open throttle switch, however you may configure any number of ways to "trip" the system but all must be used in conjunction with some type of wide open throttle switch.

Q. Is a bottle heater good?
A. A quality bottle heater is essential to proper nitrous system performance.

Q. How much pressure should be in my bottle?
A. All NX systems are designed to operate between 900-1050 PSI.

Q. What accessories are available for a nitrous system?
A. NX has over one hundred accessory part numbers, ranging from digital progressive controllers to space age bottle insulating jackets.

Q. Can I vary the amount of nitrous injected when I want?
A. Yes, by utilizing NX's digital progressive controller, the "Maximizer". This devise allows the user to precisely control the amount of nitrous delivered to his engine from the comfort of the drivers seat.

Q. Can I install a nitrous system on my car if there is no kit available?
A. NX has a system for every car manufactured in the world today.

Q. Do you have an installation manual online so I can see if I want to install a kit on my car?
A. Yes.

Q. How does a nitrous system know when I'm at wide-open throttle?
A. All NX systems are equipped with wide-open throttle micro switches, or an optional electronic TPS switch is available.

Q. How much of a horsepower increase can I expect from a nitrous system?
A. All NX systems make within 2% of their claimed horsepower, if you jet the system for 50 horsepower then you can expect no less than 49 horsepower, but usually a few more than the rated amount.

Q. Are there any dangers or things to stay away from while using nitrous?
A. Of course, NX recommends that no more than an additional 20 horsepower per cylinder be used on a stock engine, with a stock fuel pump. Always be sure you are using clean, uncontaminated nitrous. Also, be sure you have the highest octane fuel available, I.E. 93 octane premium for, stock compression, street cars and the highest motor octane fuel available for competition type vehicles.

Q. Is there a trade off for engine reliability and power produced with nitrous?
A. When used according to factory recommendations, shortened engine life should not be a concern.

Q. How long will a bottle of nitrous last?
A. That depends on the level of power being produced. The formula for calculating your nitrous usage is: .8 lbs N2O X 10 seconds = 100 horsepower. I.E. If your system is jetted for 100 horsepower it will use .8 lbs of nitrous for every 10 seconds of usage.

A. The cost of nitrous oxide varies with the region of the country, however a general estimate would be between $3.50-5.00 per pound.

Q. Can you feed an engine too much nitrous even if you keep the air/fuel ratio the same?
A. Yes, if the mechanical limits of the engine are exceeded catastrophic engine failure will result.

Q. Are there nitrous systems available for late model imports?
A. NX makes a system for every car manufactured today.

Q. What comes with a nitrous kit?
A. Most NX systems come complete with a 10 lb nitrous bottle, stainless steel bottle brackets, 16 ft aircraft style supply line, N2O filter, lifetime warranty nitrous and fuel solenoids with mounts, all standard jet settings, an NX patented Shark nozzle (nozzles), or a patented carbureted plate, wide open throttle switch, a complete installation pack that includes all bolts, nuts, washers, wire, wire terminals, lighted arming switch, and complete instructions with pictures.

Q. Will I need anything else to install the kit properly?
A. To complete the installation a Gen-X package should be ordered with the system. This includes the bottle heater, liquid filled nitrous pressure gauge, low fuel pressure safety switch, and a external bottle vent fitting and plumbing kit.

Q. Can I hide my nitrous system from a novice tuner?
A. Yes, it is quite easy to hide an NX system from the casual observer.

Q. Can I use a nitrous kit on an automatic?
A. Yes, the preferred application, for nitrous, is an automatic transmission equipped vehicle.

Q. Can you powerbrake an automatic with nitrous without it blowing up?
A. The answer is a qualified, yes. If your brakes can hold your engine, at full throttle, with the nitrous on, the answer is yes, but it is doubtful this would be possible.

Q. Can a nitrous system be set up to shut down once the brake is depressed?
A. Yes, if the user wires his system with a double throw-double pole relay placed between the arming switch and the wide open throttle switch that is activated when the brakes are applied.

Q. Can nitrous systems be used with aftermarket chips or ECU's?
A. Yes, however close attention must be paid to excessive timing advance that could cause detonation.

Q. Are drag racing launch techniques any different with nitrous for AT or MT's?
A. Depending on the traction available the launch techniques are the same, however with the increased torque and horsepower generated by nitrous usage, sometimes is necessary to delay the nitrous onset for a brief period.

Q. How high must the RPM's before activating nitrous?
A. The RPM level is not as important as is the motors ability to rev freely when the nitrous is engaged, I.E. If the vehicle is in low gear, nitrous can be engaged at any time, but if the vehicle is in a higher gear moving at a slow speed when the nitrous is engaged the engine will detonate and damage will occur.

Q. Does nitrous increase cylinder temperatures and combustion chamber pressure?
A. No, cylinder temperatures should stay the same when the correct nitrous air/fuel ratio is used. Yes, increased cylinder pressure equals increased horsepower.

Q. Can I use nitrous on my high compression engine?
A. Yes, but the proper octane fuel must be used to prevent detonation.

Q. Can I use nitrous on my turbo or supercharged vehicle?
A. Yes, NX specializes in turbo-supercharged nitrous applications.

Q. What are some general rules for creating the most horsepower without damaging anything?
A. Generally speaking the amount of power that can be created with nitrous is almost limitless. To avoid a catastrophe, the internal components of the engine must match the amount of power that is going to be generated. The use of proper air/fuel ratios is essential and the quality of the nitrous system is paramount.

Q. What pressure should my nitrous bottle be at?
A. All NX systems are calibrated to operate at 900-1050 PSI.

Q. What if the pressure is too high, should I cool it?
A. If the bottle pressure is in excess of 1100 PSI the bottle should be cooled using a wet towel or chamois.

Q. Is there any harm that can be done to my engine if I use nitrous while the bottle pressure is too high?
A. Yes, the nitrous system will run "lean" if the nitrous pressure is high beyond specification. This could cause severe engine damage.

Q. Where should I run the main nitrous feed line?
A. The feed line can be run either under the car of through the passenger compartment. Care should be taken to route the line away from any voltage points or moving suspension parts.

Q. Where should I install my bottle?
A. The ideal place to mount the bottle is in the trunk; however if your car is a hatchback it is permissible to mount it in the passenger compartment if an external pressure relief vent is properly installed on the bottle.

Q. What if my bottle leaks while I'm driving, could I get busted for OWI?
A. To become, "intoxicated", the nitrous leak would have to be severe and noticeable. No excuses to be found here!

Q. Is a nitrous system worth the money (horsepower per dollar wise)?
A. No other devise in the world offers such a bargain as nitrous oxide.

Q. Why doesn't everyone use nitrous?
A. Nitrous is not for everyone, some people prefer turbos, some like blowers, and others feel it is cheating to use nitrous.

Q. Why does nitrous have such a scary reputation?
A. There has been some very shoddy nitrous "kits" sold to unsuspecting customers over the last 20 years; this along with the abuse nitrous has suffered from "idiots" who damage their own engines.
Old 10-13-2008   #8
C MAX

Chats: 1996
C MAX is a jewel in the roughC MAX is a jewel in the roughC MAX is a jewel in the roughC MAX is a jewel in the rough

also testing the jets would be helpful, i have the nos setup and there jet sizes are a little different than others. since im boosted and my fuel pressure is more than 44 psi, i had to adjust the jets accordingly. i have many different sizes and after testing up to 70 psi have found the right fuel/nitrous jets to accomadate my higher psi.
Old 10-13-2008   #9
secondtonone317
Banned

secondtonone317 is a glorious beacon of lightsecondtonone317 is a glorious beacon of lightsecondtonone317 is a glorious beacon of lightsecondtonone317 is a glorious beacon of lightsecondtonone317 is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by C MAX View Post
also testing the jets would be helpful, i have the nos setup and there jet sizes are a little different than others. since im boosted and my fuel pressure is more than 44 psi, i had to adjust the jets accordingly. i have many different sizes and after testing up to 70 psi have found the right fuel/nitrous jets to accomadate my higher psi.

exactly, jet charts are formulated for ~44 PSI with a FMU setup you see fuel pressures upwards of 80 PSI and you have to accomodate accordingly with a smaller fuel jet. If you OD on fuel you can endup with a nitrous backfire due to puddling issues, to compensate for high fuel pressure you up the nitrous jet or lower on the fuel jet or a combination of both.

From personal experience on a recent install, different companies' jets are not interchangable with different foggers......i.e. NX jets are shorter and fatter than dynotune i think it was. Improper jet fittment will lead to a leak.
Old 07-28-2009   #10
1sik4dsc

Chats: 1043
1sik4dsc will become famous soon enough1sik4dsc will become famous soon enough

good info!
Old 07-28-2009   #11
C MAX

Chats: 1996
C MAX is a jewel in the roughC MAX is a jewel in the roughC MAX is a jewel in the roughC MAX is a jewel in the rough

also, i noticed the nitrous tends to hit harder when im drunk.
Old 07-28-2009   #12
sunlit00gxe5spd
low n' slow ev0

Chats: 2488
sunlit00gxe5spd is a jewel in the roughsunlit00gxe5spd is a jewel in the roughsunlit00gxe5spd is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by C MAX View Post
also, i noticed the nitrous tends to hit harder when im drunk.
lmao

TRENDSETTAZ AUTO
Current - 2013 Mitsubishi EVO GSR
2000 Nissan Maxima - Crashed
Closed Thread