Go Back   NYCMaximas.org Forums > Maxima Pitstop > Technical Questions > Suspension & Handling

Old 04-11-2011   #1
NeWyoRksPLaYaZ
SHIFT_A33

Chats: 143
NeWyoRksPLaYaZ has a spectacular aura aboutNeWyoRksPLaYaZ has a spectacular aura about
Unhappy Car Makes Loud Clunk/Bang Noise When Turning

sup everyone, so i recently got tein s tech springs on my car and everything is good except this one minor problem. every time i turn the wheel all the way left or all the way right i hear a loud bang/clunking noise coming from the front driver side strut/spring. it sounds like the spring is turning and then snapping back into place. i looked to see if the spring was maybe put upside down but the writing on it is straight so im guessing thats not the problem. could it be that the bolts arent tight enough on the top strut mount or maybe the spring is not on the strut the right way?? any info is appreciated. thanks!
Old 04-11-2011   #2
redcross631

Chats: 1522
redcross631 will become famous soon enough
Re: Car Makes Loud Clunk/Bang Noise When Turning

i had the same exact problem when i first got my springs installed...the spring turning and snapping back into place is what i was told by someone that had experience with installing drops....

where did you get 'em installed? i'd take it back and have them look at it and fix it

in my case it went away by itself after a while
steppin' up the level of i30ness
Old 04-11-2011   #3
DanNY
37th Chamber Shaolin Master

Chats: 51337
DanNY has a spectacular aura aboutDanNY has a spectacular aura about

strut bearing? tie rod? ball joint? cv axle boot blown?

Welding/Suspension/Forced Induction/Exhaust/Intake/Brakes/Custom Builds/Engine and Transmission Swaps
Click the image to open in full size.
Ad is sponsored by Rishy's Halal Meats

Same day radiator support swaps

Old 04-11-2011   #4
DanNY

Quote:
Originally Posted by redcross631 View Post
i had the same exact problem when i first got my springs installed...the spring turning and snapping back into place is what i was told by someone that had experience with installing drops....

where did you get 'em installed? i'd take it back and have them look at it and fix it

in my case it went away by itself after a while
i'm sorry but a spring is NOT supposed to be turning and snapping back for anything. if it's turning then it was installed incorrectly and the movement of the spring is moving the spring back to the correct position.

how experience is this person with drops?
Old 04-11-2011   #5
NeWyoRksPLaYaZ
SHIFT_A33

NeWyoRksPLaYaZ has a spectacular aura aboutNeWyoRksPLaYaZ has a spectacular aura about

um lol we swapped it on his street :x it wasnt professionally done lol. also we hand tightened all the bolts there was no compressor available so maybe somethings loose?

Last edited by NeWyoRksPLaYaZ; 04-11-2011 at 08:23 PM.
Old 04-11-2011   #6
NeWyoRksPLaYaZ
SHIFT_A33

just made a vid of the noise, horrible quality i know lol

those loud clicking noises are what im referring to

Old 04-11-2011   #7
jtm02011

Chats: 0
jtm02011 is on a distinguished road

I would also check the strut bearings and bumpstops, if you reused the old hardware when installing the springs the two items I mentioned could be the culprit.
Old 04-11-2011   #8
Professor`

Chats: 12824
Professor` is on a distinguished road

I had the same problem also, what i did to solve it was to take apart the strut mount, there is a plastic bearing in there, all i did was clean it real good and add ample amounts of grease to the moving parts, cars been as smooth and a shaved beaver since.
I wanted to add this also, This is the outcome of binding strut mounts as where the spring turns as you mentioned and the strut mount does not, This spring is the Eibach Pro Kit, It was on my driver front, as a result of the binding, This.
This is from the bottom of the spring not the top.

Last edited by Professor`; 04-11-2011 at 04:49 PM. Reason: Added photo's
Old 04-11-2011   #9
NeWyoRksPLaYaZ
SHIFT_A33

ok guys i just found out, the PASSENGER side spring is upside down, and its sooo lose like i was able to turn it so much it just coiled off the strut. but what i dont get is..if the passenger side is upside down then why is the DRIVER side making all the clunks and noises??

Old 04-11-2011   #10
redcross631

Chats: 1522
redcross631 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanNY View Post
i'm sorry but a spring is NOT supposed to be turning and snapping back for anything. if it's turning then it was installed incorrectly and the movement of the spring is moving the spring back to the correct position.

how experience is this person with drops?
not experienced enough...lol

the guy who first installed my drop, i don't think he had any kind of experience[well atleast with nissans]....just like the OP's case the drop was done at his house....got the car back with 2 missing lug nuts and a broken stud...i went to him through a connection...only reason i chose him was because it was a lot cheaper than other places[yea i learned my lesson]...got the rear's reinstalled from a reputable shop cuz my rear shocks blew[that's when i was explained about the clunking up front]...i left the fronts alone cuz my budget didn't allow it
Old 04-11-2011   #11
NeWyoRksPLaYaZ
SHIFT_A33

hey professor, when you installed your s techs were the tein logos upside down on any of the springs?? unless the driver side is the upside down one which i highly doubt because it doesnt move at all and the logo is right side up.

i also forgot to mention the nut that goes on top of the strut on driver side is broken or something, the more i tried to tighten it, the bolt got tight then loose and then tight then loose..so i tightened it as much as i can before it got loose. and the pass side nut is a different size. the driver side bolt on strut mount is bigger than pass...wtf -_-

Last edited by NeWyoRksPLaYaZ; 04-11-2011 at 07:02 PM.
Old 04-11-2011   #12
Professor`

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeWyoRksPLaYaZ View Post
hey professor, when you installed your s techs were the tein logos upside down on any of the springs?? unless the driver side is the upside down one which i highly doubt because it doesnt move at all and the logo is right side up.

i also forgot to mention the nut that goes on top of the strut on driver side is broken or something, the more i tried to tighten it, the bolt got tight then loose and then tight then loose..so i tightened it as much as i can before it got loose. and the pass side nut is a different size. the driver side bolt on strut mount is bigger than pass...wtf -_-
Mine where all right side up, the smaller side of the coil goes on the bottom. Those are use once nuts, you should replace them with new ones. You might have possibly got the counterfeit Teins, there is a website that helps you determine if you got scammed or not.

Here you go-> http://www.tein.com/counterfeit/

Last edited by Professor`; 04-11-2011 at 07:09 PM.
Old 04-11-2011   #13
NeWyoRksPLaYaZ
SHIFT_A33

ok just went outside to check lol. theyre real but just one is upside down so anyone have any ideas why the driver side would be making noises instead of the upside down passenger side?

thanks professor!
Old 04-11-2011   #14
NeWyoRksPLaYaZ
SHIFT_A33

ok heres a pic of the passenger side spring

heres the driver side

and heres a vid of the upside down spring
Old 04-11-2011   #15
Professor`

There is a small pocket like indentation on the strut where the end of sprint sits, it has to be up against that. In that one photo it is not but also it is upside down Also when you have the strut mount out you will see a arrow on the top of it, that has to point to the outside.

This vid will help ya out, you can see where the end of the spring is in the pocket like indentation.

Last edited by Professor`; 04-11-2011 at 09:56 PM. Reason: vid
Old 04-11-2011   #16
nismomaxgtr18
Indian 4th Gen Enthusiast

Chats: 3269
nismomaxgtr18 will become famous soon enoughnismomaxgtr18 will become famous soon enough

What happened to the brown spring seats?
Old 04-11-2011   #17
DanNY

holy shit....items missing from the strut...
bump stop
strut boot
bottom coil insulator
insulator around the actual spring coil

the upside down spring is clearly installed incorrectly and not sitting in/on the perch. the spring is pretty much ruined due to the shotty install. the powder coating is pretty much all worn off the springs and will rust quickly and over time may/will snap.

do yourself a favor...stop going to who ever did this job. it was done incorrectly with lack of any regards to your safety. can you request a refund?

the knocking can be a bad strut bearing or a strut mount. one can determine the condition by taking it apart. it can also be a damaged ball joint. does it knock when the car is lifted up and not on the tire?

just saw the video...no the spring is NOT supposed to spin like that...wtf?!

who did this job? i want to put this person on blast...LOL

Last edited by DanNY; 04-11-2011 at 11:07 PM.
Old 04-11-2011   #18
DanNY

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtm02011 View Post
I would also check the strut bearings and bumpstops, if you reused the old hardware when installing the springs the two items I mentioned could be the culprit.
bump stops has NOTHING to do w/ the noise. and yes i already mentioned the strut bearing.
Old 04-11-2011   #19
DanNY

Quote:

the nut is attached to the strut shaft so it will spin. the tension is probably friction that's giving you tension.

there's also a nylon insert to prevent it from working loose (lock nut).
Old 04-11-2011   #20
NeWyoRksPLaYaZ
SHIFT_A33

Quote:
holy shit....items missing from the strut...
bump stop
strut boot
bottom coil insulator
insulator around the actual spring coil

the upside down spring is clearly installed incorrectly and not sitting in/on the perch. the spring is pretty much ruined due to the shotty install. the powder coating is pretty much all worn off the springs and will rust quickly and over time may/will snap.

do yourself a favor...stop going to who ever did this job. it was done incorrectly with lack of any regards to your safety. can you request a refund?

the knocking can be a bad strut bearing or a strut mount. one can determine the condition by taking it apart. it can also be a damaged ball joint. does it knock when the car is lifted up and not on the tire?

just saw the video...no the spring is NOT supposed to spin like that...wtf?!

who did this job? i want to put this person on blast...LOL
lol ok to clear a few things, the bump stops are missing from the front i noticed that from the start, also one of the dust boots are missing on the driver side. but the insulators are there for the top and bottom of the spring. theyre brown and on the back of the spring in the pic. i dont want to mention any names i just want this issue fixed lol. i traded my eibach setup for this. it was a direct swap, we didnt take the spring/strut apart. what surprises me is that the guy who had it before me was driving like this with an upside down spring and he didnt hear any knocking and had no problems with it

so what ill do it turn that spring right side up and see if that resolves the knocking noise, if it doesnt im sure its that nut in the middle strut mount which is loose because it seems to be stripped since it just keeps spinning and spinning. also would anyone here happen to know what size bolt should be on there? if anything ill measure the pass side one since thats on nice and tight but springs upside down -_-
Old 04-11-2011   #21
NeWyoRksPLaYaZ
SHIFT_A33

Quote:
the nut is attached to the strut shaft so it will spin. the tension is probably friction that's giving you tension.

there's also a nylon insert to prevent it from working loose (lock nut).

thanks alot for the info man, i appreciate it.
Old 04-11-2011   #22
DanNY

Quote:
lol ok to clear a few things, the bump stops are missing from the front i noticed that from the start, also one of the dust boots are missing on the driver side. but the insulators are there for the top and bottom of the spring. theyre brown and on the back of the spring in the pic. i dont want to mention any names i just want this issue fixed lol. i traded my eibach setup for this. it was a direct swap, we didnt take the spring/strut apart. what surprises me is that the guy who had it before me was driving like this with an upside down spring and he didnt hear any knocking and had no problems with it

so what ill do it turn that spring right side up and see if that resolves the knocking noise, if it doesnt im sure its that nut in the middle strut mount which is loose because it seems to be stripped since it just keeps spinning and spinning. also would anyone here happen to know what size bolt should be on there? if anything ill measure the pass side one since thats on nice and tight but springs upside down -_-
you know there's a reason nissan put dust boots and bump stops on there right?

take a pic of the nut from the top that you think it loose (open the hood and take a pic of the nut).

that nut is supposed to spin unless you have an hex key to hold the center while you spin the nut. if the nut is indeed cross threaded then you need to get a new strut (might be able to recut the thread w/ a die) and a new nut.

just telling you those KYBs won't last long w/ a missing boot and bump stops.
Old 04-11-2011   #23
HomerMAC

Chats: 2219
HomerMAC is on a distinguished road

Quote:
strut bearing? tie rod? ball joint? cv axle boot blown?
the winding and clunking is most often caused by the bearing in the strut mount assembly. Well at least with these cars thats what I have seen.

If you replace. It is best to get the OEM strut bearing. The kyb and other brands.. just dont last, esp. on a lowered car with stiffer springs. There is more stress on the bearing when hitting potholes etc, as your springs are stiffer.

If you want to do it right.. then OEM mount + OEM bearing... is the way to go. I found this out after multiple sets of KYB and some other brand that the parts store sells.

After I purchased my initial OEM mount assembly, I replaced the Bearing one. It is like 20$. and it really makes the car feel fetter with a fresh bearing. If you are lowering, count on adding the 20$ bearings to your maintenance list for a modified car.

If you notice clunking while going over bumps, you need to get spring isolator that goes between the top most spring coil. Or cut a heavy coolant hose that is similar size to spring. Cut it in a spiral candy cane shaped design, Then coil the spiral hose around the spring. This last longer than the OEM isolators as the stress of lowering compromises the integrity of the OEM isolators.

DO both the sprial tube thing and the mount and you will wonder why nobody ever suggested this to you in the past.

If your gonna take it apart. might as well do it right with the storned bump stop, boot, mounts and bearing. If you want to step it up, do shortened Koni. Once you go shortened koni.

Yes it is ture.... i30 is the better maxima...

Yes it is true.... The ///M is the better B.M.

Last edited by HomerMAC; 04-12-2011 at 12:01 AM.
Old 04-12-2011   #24
djfrestyl

Chats: 2
djfrestyl will become famous soon enough

Wow. So many mistakes to fix with this setup.

You definitely need new strut mounts...and likely new bearings. They don't have to be OEM, but stay away from KYB. Get Moog.
And you need dustboots.
And make sure the "OUT" on the upper metal perch is actually facing out (aligned with the bottom strut bracket)...this could be your main cause.

Spring isolators help but wouldn't cause this noise. The visible part of the threaded rod should NOT be torquing when you turn the wheel. It should have NO movement whatsoever.

Last edited by djfrestyl; 04-12-2011 at 10:00 AM.
Old 04-12-2011   #25
NeWyoRksPLaYaZ
SHIFT_A33

Quote:
you know there's a reason nissan put dust boots and bump stops on there right?

take a pic of the nut from the top that you think it loose (open the hood and take a pic of the nut).

that nut is supposed to spin unless you have an hex key to hold the center while you spin the nut. if the nut is indeed cross threaded then you need to get a new strut (might be able to recut the thread w/ a die) and a new nut.

just telling you those KYBs won't last long w/ a missing boot and bump stops.
yeah man before i take them apart again, i am looking around and i found dust boots but idk where to buy the bump stops from.

illl take a pic and post it, thank you

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomerMAC View Post
the winding and clunking is most often caused by the bearing in the strut mount assembly. Well at least with these cars thats what I have seen.

If you replace. It is best to get the OEM strut bearing. The kyb and other brands.. just dont last, esp. on a lowered car with stiffer springs. There is more stress on the bearing when hitting potholes etc, as your springs are stiffer.

If you want to do it right.. then OEM mount + OEM bearing... is the way to go. I found this out after multiple sets of KYB and some other brand that the parts store sells.

After I purchased my initial OEM mount assembly, I replaced the Bearing one. It is like 20$. and it really makes the car feel fetter with a fresh bearing. If you are lowering, count on adding the 20$ bearings to your maintenance list for a modified car.

If you notice clunking while going over bumps, you need to get spring isolator that goes between the top most spring coil. Or cut a heavy coolant hose that is similar size to spring. Cut it in a spiral candy cane shaped design, Then coil the spiral hose around the spring. This last longer than the OEM isolators as the stress of lowering compromises the integrity of the OEM isolators.

DO both the sprial tube thing and the mount and you will wonder why nobody ever suggested this to you in the past.

If your gonna take it apart. might as well do it right with the storned bump stop, boot, mounts and bearing. If you want to step it up, do shortened Koni. Once you go shortened koni.
it doesnt make noises going over bumps, only when i turn left or right and the driver side spring makes a clunk noise.

thanks for the advice
Old 04-12-2011   #26
NeWyoRksPLaYaZ
SHIFT_A33

Re: [Unprofessional/unskilled installer] Car Makes Loud Clunk/Bang Noise When Turning

LOL who changed the title of the thread??? i dont want to bash on the guy, i dont think he knew

Last edited by NeWyoRksPLaYaZ; 04-12-2011 at 10:32 AM.
Old 04-12-2011   #27
lanceb028
Advanced Member

Chats: 36817
lanceb028 is on a distinguished road
Re: [Unprofessional/unskilled installer] Car Makes Loud Clunk/Bang Noise When Turning

Quote:
LOL who changed the title of the thread??? i dont want to bash on the guy, i dont think he knew
youre not bashing him, he can be doing this to someone elses car and they wont be as lucky as you to find out early.
Old 04-12-2011   #28
{-_-}
Apple User ^_^

Chats: 35780
{-_-} is a jewel in the rough{-_-} is a jewel in the rough{-_-} is a jewel in the rough{-_-} is a jewel in the rough

you should reveal the name of the installer, for the safety of the community. unfortunately, you cannot claim ignorance when you are working on something that can endanger someone else's life.

i wish you lots of luck in bringing this up with the installer and hope he'll buy new replacement parts since they will fail eventually due to his work.

buyer beware, you sometimes get what you pay for.

Feel free to contact me-
EMAIL: nycmaximasorg {at} gmail {dot} com
AIM: nycmaximasorg on AIM

Old 04-12-2011   #29
90max
TrendSettaz Secretary

Chats: 7838
90max will become famous soon enough90max will become famous soon enough

lol this is a great thread!
Old 04-12-2011   #30
{-_-}
Apple User ^_^

Chats: 35780
{-_-} is a jewel in the rough{-_-} is a jewel in the rough{-_-} is a jewel in the rough{-_-} is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
As per chatbox:

12/04/2011 10:25 <packetattack>
Dan that thread is really disturbing, the suspension one.. I moved it to the Suspension area since NewYorkPlayaz is reluctant to name his installer -- so I prefaced the name of the thread to "Unskilled/unprofessional installer" and sticked the thread so it shows up at the top of the listing within Suspension/Handling area..
Old 04-12-2011   #31
packetattack
NYCMaximas Founder

Chats: 15967
packetattack is just really nicepacketattack is just really nicepacketattack is just really nicepacketattack is just really nicepacketattack is just really nice

Quote:
LOL who changed the title of the thread????
I did. I also moved it to the Suspension/Handling area and stickied it as a warning to other members.

You really need to think about identifying this person that did this sloppy dangerous work. You are just as responsible as he is if you allow other members to go to him and they get ripped off or are put in a situation where they could get into an accident.

Old 04-12-2011   #32
NeWyoRksPLaYaZ
SHIFT_A33

noo we traded suspensions, he doesnt do work and installations. he put together his own setup with the teins and gr2s and later traded them for my eibachs. its not a member provided service type of thing. but i do wish he had told me some things were missing from the suspension. but you live and learn i guess. ill be more careful and pay attention to everything. i never messed with suspensions so i really didnt know exactly what to look for. but now i know
Old 04-12-2011   #33
djfrestyl

If that's the case, shouldn't this noise have been present on his car before you traded?

Either way, it seems one side is correctly installed and the other isnt...though that's highly unlikely.

Find a skilled & knowledgeable installer and get it fixed. And PLEASE get new parts that I mentioned above. PM me if you need help, advice is free
Old 04-12-2011   #34
din9lebrah
Previously known as din9lebeRrY

Chats: 5009
din9lebrah is a glorious beacon of lightdin9lebrah is a glorious beacon of lightdin9lebrah is a glorious beacon of lightdin9lebrah is a glorious beacon of lightdin9lebrah is a glorious beacon of light

just tell us who did this.
Old 04-12-2011   #35
NeWyoRksPLaYaZ
SHIFT_A33

Quote:
Originally Posted by djfrestyl View Post
If that's the case, shouldn't this noise have been present on his car before you traded?

Either way, it seems one side is correctly installed and the other isnt...though that's highly unlikely.

Find a skilled & knowledgeable installer and get it fixed. And PLEASE get new parts that I mentioned above. PM me if you need help, advice is free
yeah man there was no noises when it was on his car so idk why its making so many on mine. we even went for a test run before and it ran totally fine no problems.
Old 04-12-2011   #36
djfrestyl

Oh and FYI, dustboots/bumpstops are two components of the same part. When you buy boots the stops are included or integrated.
Old 04-12-2011   #37
djfrestyl

Quote:
yeah man there was no noises when it was on his car so idk why its making so many on mine. we even went for a test run before and it ran totally fine no problems.
With that type of movement, your strut mount is DEFINITELY shot.

I have some sitting around if you're trying to save a couple bucks. LMK.
Old 04-12-2011   #38
NeWyoRksPLaYaZ
SHIFT_A33

^i called autozone and pepboys, they said they dont carry it..do you know anywhere that would?? so when i flip that spring ill put the stopper in there and on the other spring ill add the boot and stopper.

thanks for all the info guys
Old 04-12-2011   #39
djfrestyl

YGPM dude.
Old 04-12-2011   #40
OHH NOES
Formerly known as Max0224

Chats: 417
OHH NOES is just really niceOHH NOES is just really niceOHH NOES is just really niceOHH NOES is just really nice

If you traded for this setup, TRADE BACK IMMEDIATELY! You were lied too, there is NO WAY this setup didn't make noise on the original users car. Also these struts will prematurely fail because of the missing parts. Do not waste your time trying to fix these to keep them, they are in horrible condition. Trade back and find someone else to trade with.