Go Back   NYCMaximas.org Forums > Maxima Pitstop > Technical Questions > Brakes

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-27-2010   #41
daonlyillwiz

Name: daonlyillwiz
Title: Member
Status: Offline

Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 402
Chats: 90
Rep Power: 12daonlyillwiz will become famous soon enough
Re: Ultimate 6thgen Brakes Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by chernmax View Post
YES, the rear Wilwood 4 Piston kit was originally for the 350Z and fit the Maxima with a bolt up adapter plate if that's what you're asking? You should contact Fastbrakes.com and inquire about them or different sizes they may have. Asking is free...
lol thanks, but nothing really can bolt up without an adapter plate or anything right ?
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2010   #42
EddyMaxx
 
EddyMaxx's Avatar

Name: EddyMaxx
Title: Owner
Status: Offline

Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 7,776
Chats: 7284
Rep Power: 24EddyMaxx has a spectacular aura aboutEddyMaxx has a spectacular aura aboutEddyMaxx has a spectacular aura about
Re: Ultimate 6thgen Brakes Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by daonlyillwiz View Post
lol thanks, but nothing really can bolt up without an adapter plate or anything right ?
Nope... you will need a custom bracket regardless bro.
__________________
Click the image to open in full size.
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2010   #43
vsamoylov

Name: vsamoylov
Title: Senior Member
Status: Offline

Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Bridgewater VA
Posts: 3,982
Chats: 58
Rep Power: 19vsamoylov will become famous soon enough
Re: Ultimate 6thgen Brakes Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by daonlyillwiz View Post
I was actually asking if they would BOLT up without needing brackets fabbed up.
a bracket will be needed no matter what if you are planning on using a bigger rotor. The only thing that you might be able to get away if by using the rear brakes from the 350z (either 1 piston caliper and rotor or brembo 4 pot caliper and rotor). same goes for the front
__________________
Click the image to open in full size.
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2010   #44
daonlyillwiz

Name: daonlyillwiz
Title: Member
Status: Offline

Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 402
Chats: 90
Rep Power: 12daonlyillwiz will become famous soon enough
Re: Ultimate 6thgen Brakes Thread

Meh, thanks for the infos guys, reason why I ask is because I have a set of g37 brembos front and back. now would these fit on the OEM 6th gen 18" rims you think or would the offset not allow, I havent checked yet as i plan on installing these next weekend. thanks for any and all info.
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2010   #45
vsamoylov

Name: vsamoylov
Title: Senior Member
Status: Offline

Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Bridgewater VA
Posts: 3,982
Chats: 58
Rep Power: 19vsamoylov will become famous soon enough
Re: Ultimate 6thgen Brakes Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by daonlyillwiz View Post
Meh, thanks for the infos guys, reason why I ask is because I have a set of g37 brembos front and back. now would these fit on the OEM 6th gen 18" rims you think or would the offset not allow, I havent checked yet as i plan on installing these next weekend. thanks for any and all info.
first the g37 does not have brembo brakes they are produced by Akebono.
Second of all oem maxima wheels of any sort will not clear the calipers.
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2010   #46
chernmax
 
chernmax's Avatar

Name: chernmax
Title: Senior Member
Status: Offline

Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Displaced New Yorker in MD
Posts: 1,670
Chats: 0
Rep Power: 18chernmax will become famous soon enoughchernmax will become famous soon enough
Re: Ultimate 6thgen Brakes Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by daonlyillwiz View Post
lol thanks, but nothing really can bolt up without an adapter plate or anything right ?
Well most likely if they were not originally made for the car, the answer is pretty obvious!
__________________
Click the image to open in full size.
Visit my Web Site at: http://www.cardomain.com/ride/668322 Stop Global Whining!!!
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2010   #47
vsamoylov

Name: vsamoylov
Title: Senior Member
Status: Offline

Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Bridgewater VA
Posts: 3,982
Chats: 58
Rep Power: 19vsamoylov will become famous soon enough
Re: Ultimate 6thgen Brakes Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by chernmax View Post
Well most likely if they were not originally made for the car, the answer is pretty obvious!
Actually Alot oem Nissan calipers and universal calipers will bolt up. The reason a bracket is because of the bigger rotor.

For example a 300zx tt caliper and rotor will bolt up without any brackets. A universal wilwood caliper will also bolt up but the right rotor size has to be picked.
  Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010   #48
chernmax
 
chernmax's Avatar

Name: chernmax
Title: Senior Member
Status: Offline

Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Displaced New Yorker in MD
Posts: 1,670
Chats: 0
Rep Power: 18chernmax will become famous soon enoughchernmax will become famous soon enough
Re: Ultimate 6thgen Brakes Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by vsamoylov View Post
Actually Alot oem Nissan calipers and universal calipers will bolt up. The reason a bracket is because of the bigger rotor.

For example a 300zx tt caliper and rotor will bolt up without any brackets. A universal wilwood caliper will also bolt up but the right rotor size has to be picked.
Agree but the 300zx tt is the only OEM caliper that I've seen swapped onto a Maxima with no adapter plate, however when most people upgrade brakes it's not to put on another cars OEM set, (300zx IMO are better so that's justifiable) but jumping up to a 4-6-8 piston caliper body which are normally wider and require an adapter plate for the new offset even if using the stock size rotor (like the wilwood 4 piston only caliper kit). Another consideration then becomes rim clearance where depending on caliper size a spacer or new rim with a higher offset may be required. And don't quote me but I believe Wilwood, Brembo won't fit on rim sizes below a 17"

Again your point is valid!
  Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010   #49
vsamoylov

Name: vsamoylov
Title: Senior Member
Status: Offline

Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Bridgewater VA
Posts: 3,982
Chats: 58
Rep Power: 19vsamoylov will become famous soon enough
Re: Ultimate 6thgen Brakes Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by chernmax View Post
Agree but the 300zx tt is the only OEM caliper that I've seen swapped onto a Maxima with no adapter plate, however when most people upgrade brakes it's not to put on another cars OEM set, (300zx IMO are better so that's justifiable) but jumping up to a 4-6-8 piston caliper body which are normally wider and require an adapter plate for the new offset even if using the stock size rotor (like the wilwood 4 piston only caliper kit). Another consideration then becomes rim clearance where depending on caliper size a spacer or new rim with a higher offset may be required. And don't quote me but I believe Wilwood, Brembo won't fit on rim sizes below a 17"

Again your point is valid!
Actually the 300zx tt is not the only oem caliper that is used when upgrading brakes. The Brembo calipers that came stock on the 350z/g35 can be used as well but it is not common due to the cost. They do not require a bracket if they are used with the oem rotor.

Then the size of the caliper does not determine if a bracket is required. The only reason a bracket is needed if the individual is going to use a bigger rotor. For example a 6th gen maxima rotor and wilwood fsl caliper require a bracket however a wilwood fsl caliper and a stock 4th/5th gen rotor do not require a bracket since the rotor diameter is alot smaller.

And a higher offset will not give you more clearence. A rim with a lower offset is needed not a rim with a higher offset. A higher offset will actualyl give you less clearence.
  Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010   #50
daonlyillwiz

Name: daonlyillwiz
Title: Member
Status: Offline

Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 402
Chats: 90
Rep Power: 12daonlyillwiz will become famous soon enough
Re: Ultimate 6thgen Brakes Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by vsamoylov View Post
Actually the 300zx tt is not the only oem caliper that is used when upgrading brakes. The Brembo calipers that came stock on the 350z/g35 can be used as well but it is not common due to the cost. They do not require a bracket if they are used with the oem rotor.

Then the size of the caliper does not determine if a bracket is required. The only reason a bracket is needed if the individual is going to use a bigger rotor. For example a 6th gen maxima rotor and wilwood fsl caliper require a bracket however a wilwood fsl caliper and a stock 4th/5th gen rotor do not require a bracket since the rotor diameter is alot smaller.

And a higher offset will not give you more clearence. A rim with a lower offset is needed not a rim with a higher offset. A higher offset will actualyl give you less clearence.
Ok are we talking about both front and rear or just rear ?
  Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010   #51
chernmax
 
chernmax's Avatar

Name: chernmax
Title: Senior Member
Status: Offline

Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Displaced New Yorker in MD
Posts: 1,670
Chats: 0
Rep Power: 18chernmax will become famous soon enoughchernmax will become famous soon enough
Re: Ultimate 6thgen Brakes Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by vsamoylov View Post
Actually the 300zx tt is not the only oem caliper that is used when upgrading brakes. The Brembo calipers that came stock on the 350z/g35 can be used as well but it is not common due to the cost. They do not require a bracket if they are used with the oem rotor.

Then the size of the caliper does not determine if a bracket is required. The only reason a bracket is needed if the individual is going to use a bigger rotor. For example a 6th gen maxima rotor and wilwood fsl caliper require a bracket however a wilwood fsl caliper and a stock 4th/5th gen rotor do not require a bracket since the rotor diameter is alot smaller.

And a higher offset will not give you more clearence. A rim with a lower offset is needed not a rim with a higher offset. A higher offset will actualyl give you less clearence.
All valid points but I don't consider Brembo an OEM caliper even if it came as an option on a Nissan. Also I'm not saying it hasn't been done, I'm saying I've never seen a Maxima with a Brembo setup that was a direct boltup.
  Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010   #52
vsamoylov

Name: vsamoylov
Title: Senior Member
Status: Offline

Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Bridgewater VA
Posts: 3,982
Chats: 58
Rep Power: 19vsamoylov will become famous soon enough
Re: Ultimate 6thgen Brakes Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by chernmax View Post
All valid points but I don't consider Brembo an OEM caliper even if it came as an option on a Nissan. Also I'm not saying it hasn't been done, I'm saying I've never seen a Maxima with a Brembo setup that was a direct boltup.
You might not consider it but there are plenty of people that have the mentality that is it OEM because Nissan installed it on their vehicles even if the part was designed and produced by an outsourced company. Just people have different meanings of the term OEM.

lol you don't have to see to believe.
  Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010   #53
vsamoylov

Name: vsamoylov
Title: Senior Member
Status: Offline

Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Bridgewater VA
Posts: 3,982
Chats: 58
Rep Power: 19vsamoylov will become famous soon enough
Re: Ultimate 6thgen Brakes Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by daonlyillwiz View Post
Ok are we talking about both front and rear or just rear ?
If you are referencing it to the 6th gen, any 350z brake set-up (oem,wilwood,brembo,rotora,projectmu,stoptech,etc) will bolt up to the 6th gen. It just all depends on how much you are willing to spend on brakes.
Most 6th gen owners end up just upgrading pads and rotors with ss lines. There are some that do an entry level bbk. But majority of owners do not use their brakes to where they feel fade and braking distance is reduced drastically.
  Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010   #54
EddyMaxx
 
EddyMaxx's Avatar

Name: EddyMaxx
Title: Owner
Status: Offline

Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 7,776
Chats: 7284
Rep Power: 24EddyMaxx has a spectacular aura aboutEddyMaxx has a spectacular aura aboutEddyMaxx has a spectacular aura about
Re: Ultimate 6thgen Brakes Thread

shoot me now plzzzz
  Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010   #55
vsamoylov

Name: vsamoylov
Title: Senior Member
Status: Offline

Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Bridgewater VA
Posts: 3,982
Chats: 58
Rep Power: 19vsamoylov will become famous soon enough
Re: Ultimate 6thgen Brakes Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by EddyMaxx View Post
shoot me now plzzzz
right foot?
  Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010   #56
daonlyillwiz

Name: daonlyillwiz
Title: Member
Status: Offline

Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 402
Chats: 90
Rep Power: 12daonlyillwiz will become famous soon enough
Re: Ultimate 6thgen Brakes Thread

Yess but when you plan on making a Nissan maxima 6thgen into an AWD beast I kinda need these brakes lol.

I have a gtr donor car that was flipped and pretty much destroyed I plan on taking the drivetrain and makin a custom rear subframe or try to use the gtr subframe
e either way i'm askig because I'm new to Nissan I was in the mitsubishi game for 4 years with talons and evo's and the breaks were pretty much direct Bolton so yea I'm no nub I know that changing the rotors to some slotted/drilled ones along with some nice hawk hps pads along with some ss lines would be enough but I don't plan on stopping like that I want to stop on the dot.

I'll have a build thread in the comming weeks this maxima gtr project shall be interesting.
  Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010   #57
EddyMaxx
 
EddyMaxx's Avatar

Name: EddyMaxx
Title: Owner
Status: Offline

Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 7,776
Chats: 7284
Rep Power: 24EddyMaxx has a spectacular aura aboutEddyMaxx has a spectacular aura aboutEddyMaxx has a spectacular aura about
Re: Ultimate 6thgen Brakes Thread

Interesting AWD 6thgen?? Twin turbo as well?

You must have lots of $$$$$$$$$$$$$$
  Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010   #58
daonlyillwiz

Name: daonlyillwiz
Title: Member
Status: Offline

Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 402
Chats: 90
Rep Power: 12daonlyillwiz will become famous soon enough
Re: Ultimate 6thgen Brakes Thread

yup believe it or not it will be around 6k$ in fabrication costs and material not too much. :-)
  Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010   #59
chernmax
 
chernmax's Avatar

Name: chernmax
Title: Senior Member
Status: Offline

Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Displaced New Yorker in MD
Posts: 1,670
Chats: 0
Rep Power: 18chernmax will become famous soon enoughchernmax will become famous soon enough
Re: Ultimate 6thgen Brakes Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by vsamoylov View Post
lol you don't have to see to believe.
True but it makes me a better believer!
  Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2010   #60
slick101

Name: slick101
Title: New Member
Status: Offline

Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 27
Chats: 0
Rep Power: 0slick101 is on a distinguished road
Re: Ultimate 6thgen Brakes Thread

Sick
  Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010   #61
daonlyillwiz

Name: daonlyillwiz
Title: Member
Status: Offline

Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 402
Chats: 90
Rep Power: 12daonlyillwiz will become famous soon enough
Re: Ultimate 6thgen Brakes Thread

I may actually end up using the gtr brakes + rims :-\ IF they fit heh.
  Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2010   #62
OneWhtMax

Name: OneWhtMax
Title: New Member
Status: Offline

Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 13
Chats: 0
Rep Power: 0OneWhtMax is on a distinguished road
Re: Ultimate 6thgen Brakes Thread

nice
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2011   #63
SRBLACK6GEN
 
SRBLACK6GEN's Avatar

Name: SRBLACK6GEN
Title: New Member
Status: Offline

Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: NYC
Posts: 14
Chats: 0
Rep Power: 0SRBLACK6GEN is on a distinguished road
Re: Ultimate 6thgen Brakes Thread

This is great info.....eddy,do you install?
  Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 02:05 PM.

A vBSkinworks Design

 
Powered by vBulletin ®
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2021 NYCMaximas.org