Go Back   NYCMaximas.org Forums > New York City Maxima Groups > General NYC Maximas Discussion

Old 04-07-2011   #1
Shift_likeustoleit

Chats: 0
Shift_likeustoleit is on a distinguished road
For those with a Lightweight Flywheel

If you have or have had a lightweight flywheel, how do you feel about driving with it in the city? Is it harder and it's difficulty always present, or just something to get used to, and when you do its the new normal? I looked on the other flywheel threads, but none of them addressed this issue really. I've got a fidanza that I will get installed next month when the tranny gets rebuilt, but I want to know if new drivability is tolerable for most. And has the timing ring issue been fixed with the new fidanzas?
Old 04-07-2011   #2
00MaxXxedOut
Advanced Member

Chats: 8
00MaxXxedOut is on a distinguished road
Re: For those with a Lightweight Flywheel

I have a 13lb Chromalloy Flywheel nd I love it.. no issues ever, city or highway easy engagements and pulls hard.. been driving stick for 8 yrs nd my 4th standard car so its nothing to me.
Old 04-08-2011   #3
jason992

jason992 is on a distinguished road

I've had the fidanza flywheel on my 4th gen max for about a year now and I don't have any regrets. TJ installed it with my new clutch kit, and it made a huge difference. At first, you'll notice that when your changing gears, the RPM's will drop faster. And as u accelerate, the thing just sweeps aggressively across the RPM band. Although I don't live in NYC, I can assure you that it'll be fine. I do believe some of the fidanza flywheels dont come with a timing ring. Because TJ had to take it off of my old flywheel and put it onto the fidanza.
Old 04-08-2011   #4
Shift_likeustoleit

Quote:
Originally Posted by jason992 View Post
I've had the fidanza flywheel on my 4th gen max for about a year now and I don't have any regrets. TJ installed it with my new clutch kit, and it made a huge difference. At first, you'll notice that when your changing gears, the RPM's will drop faster. And as u accelerate, the thing just sweeps aggressively across the RPM band. Although I don't live in NYC, I can assure you that it'll be fine. I do believe some of the fidanza flywheels dont come with a timing ring. Because TJ had to take it off of my old flywheel and put it onto the fidanza.
I thought the new fidanzas include the timing ring. There is a ring of some sort on the outer edge of the flywheel itself. Is the ring on the outer edge with the teeth not the timing ring? Or is that just the starter ring gear?

Click the image to open in full size.

Sent from the phone that's better than your's

Last edited by Shift_likeustoleit; 04-08-2011 at 05:40 PM.
Old 04-09-2011   #5
maxboy
MR AE

maxboy will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shift_likeustoleit View Post
I thought the new fidanzas include the timing ring. There is a ring of some sort on the outer edge of the flywheel itself. Is the ring on the outer edge with the teeth not the timing ring? Or is that just the starter ring gear?

The other ring is for ur crank sensor. U gonna have to use ur stock one.. And about ur question it also depends on ur clutch kit. I have got a fidanza and spec stage 3 6 puck And it jerks on traffic. I didn't like it.. On my 4th gen I shave a lil bit of weight from the stock one and I combo it with exedy stage 2 3 puck. Felt better. And I was S/C.. Fidanza I thinks is better with a replacement clutch kit..if u not planning on boosting it. And also revs faster...

I'm talking about 3.0 motors. I don't know much about 3.5s..

Last edited by maxboy; 04-09-2011 at 01:01 PM.
Old 04-09-2011   #6
Shift_likeustoleit

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxboy View Post
The other ring is for ur crank sensor. U gonna have to use ur stock one.. And about ur question it also depends on ur clutch kit. I have got a fidanza and spec stage 3 6 puck And it jerks on traffic. I didn't like it.. On my 4th gen I shave a lil bit of weight from the stock one and I combo it with exedy stage 2 3 puck. Felt better. And I was S/C.. Fidanza I thinks is better with a replacement clutch kit..if u not planning on boosting it. And also revs faster...

I'm talking about 3.0 motors. I don't know much about 3.5s..
Ive got a 5th gen clutch in my 4th gen, u think that would b good?
Old 04-10-2011   #7
maxfever1987

Chats: 301
maxfever1987 will become famous soon enough

Quote:

you will be fine with the 5th gen clutch
Old 04-10-2011   #8
HomerMAC

Chats: 2219
HomerMAC is on a distinguished road

... it feels fine, if anything rev matching becomes a bit quicker as it doesnt have to wind up as with the heavy OE F.wheel. BUT when you have an SC, i preffer the OEM. I felt it helped the SC maintain revs. (i dont know if that makes sense)

Yes it is ture.... i30 is the better maxima...

Yes it is true.... The ///M is the better B.M.
Old 04-10-2011   #9
maxboy
MR AE

Quote:
yep you"ll be fine.. and also when u say 5th gen it doesnt mean u went and bought an AE kit from nissan did u? if is aftermarket 5th and 4th gen is the same thing.. i know this because my ae was different from the stock oem 4th gen...

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomerMAC View Post
... it feels fine, if anything rev matching becomes a bit quicker as it doesnt have to wind up as with the heavy OE F.wheel. BUT when you have an SC, i preffer the OEM. I felt it helped the SC maintain revs. (i dont know if that makes sense)
thats why i shaved a couple of pounds off of my 4th gen.. it felt better than my 5th gen big difference if u ask me.
Old 04-11-2011   #10
Shift_likeustoleit

Quote:
yep you"ll be fine.. and also when u say 5th gen it doesnt mean u went and bought an AE kit from nissan did u? if is aftermarket 5th and 4th gen is the same thing.. i know this because my ae was different from the stock oem 4th gen...

thats why i shaved a couple of pounds off of my 4th gen.. it felt better than my 5th gen big difference if u ask me.
I got the 5th gen clutch from Dave B. at Southpointe Nissan, so im assuming he gave me the ae 5th gen lol. The part number on the receipt is C0100-6E600 for the clutch disk, and 30210-89F00 for the clutch assembly. I just looked on Courtesy Nissan's site and the part numbers on my receipt seem to match the 5th gen clutch part numbers not the 4th gen.

Last edited by Shift_likeustoleit; 04-11-2011 at 02:42 AM.
Old 04-11-2011   #11
maxboy
MR AE

Quote:
I got the 5th gen clutch from Dave B. at Southpointe Nissan, so im assuming he gave me the ae 5th gen lol. The part number on the receipt is C0100-6E600 for the clutch disk, and 30210-89F00 for the clutch assembly. I just looked on Courtesy Nissan's site and the part numbers on my receipt seem to match the 5th gen clutch part numbers not the 4th gen.

both of them has the same part number. what i meant was the design of the disc it self was different.. i wish i have a pic to show u what i mean..

and this is the 02 03 also the same part number

Last edited by maxboy; 04-11-2011 at 09:20 PM.
Old 04-11-2011   #12
00MaxXxedOut
Advanced Member

So whats the AE p/n then..
I used the exedy 1 w/ my 13lb (asc) /or/ (aasc) I dont remember the name.. but all on my AE trans and it bolted up no prob, 6k since. Really my question is how is it different then?
Old 04-11-2011   #13
maxboy
MR AE

Quote:
Originally Posted by 00MaxXxedOut View Post
So whats the AE p/n then..
I used the exedy 1 w/ my 13lb (asc) /or/ (aasc) I dont remember the name.. but all on my AE trans and it bolted up no prob, 6k since. Really my question is how is it different then?
thats what im trying to explain.. 4 and 5th part numbers is the same and they are the same thing.. the differences on a original ( never replaced factory ) AE is noticeable if u compare both by looking at it... its like more heavier and thicker
Old 04-11-2011   #14
Shift_likeustoleit

Quote:
thats what im trying to explain.. 4 and 5th part numbers is the same and they are the same thing.. the differences on a original ( never replaced factory ) AE is noticeable if u compare both by looking at it... its like more heavier and thicker
The 5.5 gen clutches have the same part number too, but those are different from the 5th gen & 4th gen right?
Old 04-11-2011   #15
maxboy
MR AE

Quote:
The 5.5 gen clutches have the same part number too, but those are different from the 5th gen & 4th gen right?
that i cant tell u cause i never had a chance to change one..
Old 04-11-2011   #16
Shift_likeustoleit

Damn, I need to do some searching lol

Edit: from what I found on the big org, there is no difference between the AE & 5th gen clutch: http://forums.maxima.org/7057863-post2.html

And looking on courtesy nissan site, there is a difference between the 4th gen & 5th gen:

4th gen:

5th gen:

So judging by what I found on the big org, and what I can see on courtesy nissan's site, maybe just the clamping force changed but the look they same? idk lol

Last edited by Shift_likeustoleit; 04-11-2011 at 11:03 PM.
Old 04-11-2011   #17
00MaxXxedOut
Advanced Member

makes sense, didnt give me a problem 5mnths down the road tho..
Old 04-11-2011   #18
HomerMAC

the AE had i believe 60 pounds more holding power or something like that. the AE clutch was made by exedy i believe. very comprable to an exedy stage 1.
Old 04-11-2011   #19
Shift_likeustoleit

Quote:
the AE had i believe 60 pounds more holding power or something like that. the AE clutch was made by exedy i believe. very comprable to an exedy stage 1.
From what I can tell, there is an earlier 5th clutch and a later 5th gen clutch. The later clutch has more clamping force, while the earlier doesnt have as much. I can't really tell which one I have, I got it from Dave B., so maybe he knew what I was talking about already an knew which one I wanted lol?

http://forums.maxima.org/4560881-post7.html

EDIT: and according to this post on the big org, he came up with the idea, so Im sure he got me the right one: http://forums.maxima.org/4561600-post10.html

I couldnt compare the clutches between the 4th gen and 5th gen b/c when I 1st bought my Max, the clutch was slipping bad, so it was the 1st thing I replaced. So I have no idea how much more the 5th gen clutch in there now grabs over the stock 4th gen clutch b/c I've only ever driven it w/ the 5th gen clutch.

Last edited by Shift_likeustoleit; 04-11-2011 at 11:20 PM.
Old 04-12-2011   #20
HomerMAC

Quote:
From what I can tell, there is an earlier 5th clutch and a later 5th gen clutch. The later clutch has more clamping force, while the earlier doesnt have as much. I can't really tell which one I have, I got it from Dave B., so maybe he knew what I was talking about already an knew which one I wanted lol?

http://forums.maxima.org/4560881-post7.html

EDIT: and according to this post on the big org, he came up with the idea, so Im sure he got me the right one: http://forums.maxima.org/4561600-post10.html

I couldnt compare the clutches between the 4th gen and 5th gen b/c when I 1st bought my Max, the clutch was slipping bad, so it was the 1st thing I replaced. So I have no idea how much more the 5th gen clutch in there now grabs over the stock 4th gen clutch b/c I've only ever driven it w/ the 5th gen clutch.

the Anniversary is a dif. part number. check what the anniversary part number is and what you think is non AE clutch.
Old 04-12-2011   #21
Shift_likeustoleit

Quote:
the Anniversary is a dif. part number. check what the anniversary part number is and what you think is non AE clutch.
That's the thing, I can't find any AE part number. All I find is 5th gen part numbers, none say specifically AE

Old 05-09-2011   #22
HomerMAC

Quote:
That's the thing, I can't find any AE part number. All I find is 5th gen part numbers, none say specifically AE

i have the box at my mother's house. im gonna go check it.